The proton-proton chain reaction on the sun is mostly “reversible fusion”.  P+P
<-> H2

It has been posted here many times that the strong force is overwhelming at
close range - and will bring too protons together , despite Pauli. But almost
always the He2 nucleus which forms then immediately breaks up.  Thus, 99.99+ %
of all fusion reactions, on all stars in the Universe, can be said to be
reversible, and do not produce much energy. The bigger question for NiH is
this: does reversible proton fusion produce any net energy? The currently
favored model for solar fusion says NO.

He2 does form from the interaction however, and it disappear rapidly - but ever
so often there is a beta decay. Only one reversible reaction in 10^20 proceeds
to beta decay. Thus the solar model is not compatible with Ni-H.

Ed Storms clearly states that he is suggesting a novel form of this reaction -
mediated by another particle such as an electron, deflated electron or so on.
He is aware of the rarity of the beta decay.

There is another hypothesis, or model, which I’ve been airing for about 6
months. It can operate along side of other models or alone. It suggests that
proton reversible fusion does produce a small amount of heat due to QCD “color
change”. The mass of the proton is slightly reduced in the process. That solves
many theoretical problems, but admittedly there is no proof (unless NiH is the
proof).

The proton - in this model is not quantized. Its “known mass” is an average
mass, and can vary slightly up or down from average. In addition to shedding
small amounts of energy via QCD, depleted protons can also capture small
amounts of mass-energy via free electrons on the sun, under gravity
compression. This energy transfer in either case comes from QM - spin transfer
via magnons.

The mediating quasi-particle for this process is the magnon. That is important
for NiH. If nickel were not ferromagnetic, there would probably be no energy
transfer from reversible fusion.

Before you ask – yes palladium is ferromagnetic in alloy form, and as a hydride:

http://cpb.iphy.ac.cn/EN/abstract/abstract25888.shtml

From: Eric Walker

Chuck Sites wrote:

The proton-proton chain reaction is initiated with a strong interaction between
two protons,  that binds to form a diproton, the diproton then decays via weak
interaction (a W boson) into a deuteron + electron + electron neutrino  and
0.42 MeV of energy.

Wikipedia has a very good description of this processes:

The proton-proton chain does seem promising at first, especially when one takes
into account some of the difficulties with the kind of activation that would
occur if there were a lot of neutron-moderated reactions.  But the
proton-proton chain has its own difficulties.  See [1], below, for an earlier
discussion.

Briefly, the diproton lasts for a vanishingly small amount of time before it
breaks up.  Only a very small fraction of diprotons go on to form deuterium; in
the sun, this process is a limiting one that prevents it from rapidly burning
through its fuel.  In known cases, the rate of deuterium formation is small
because the weak force requires that a very high energy barrier be surpassed
before a proton will convert to a neutron. Widom and Larsen have other ideas on
this particular point, and it is part of what makes their writings difficult
for physicist types (of which I am not one) to get a handle on.  See also the
comments to this physics.SE question for more details [2].  I believe Ed Storms
proposes an alternate form of weak-force moderated nuclear reaction, along the
lines of a slow p-e-p reaction, and I would assume that similar difficulties
must be addressed in this instance as well.

Assuming the weak interaction really does provide a limiting barrier, any
fusion-like reaction is presumably going to have to occur either through the
action of deuterium or higher, on one hand, or through proton capture within a
larger nucleus, on the other, unless a non-fusion reaction along the lines of
what Jones or Mills describes is going on.  Obviously there is also the matter
of the Coulomb barrier, but I think we've gotten used to ignoring it for the
sake of convenience. ;)

Eric

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg67691.html

[2]