Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

A truly scary prospect, I would say. Humans now have three ways they could
> make themselves extinct - atomic weapons, biological weapons, and smart
> computers.

I do not see it that way. Nuclear or biological weapons would cause only
massive harm. Nothing good can come of using them. Whereas it is easy to
imagine a society in which computers do nearly all the work, but we all
prosper.

I am confident that if we can devise wonderful robots, we can also devise
an economy to fit them and benefit everyone. An economy is a human
invention like any other -- like a building, a railroad or a computer.
People sometimes say that an economy must follow the rules of economics so
we have no choice about how we shape it. It has to be free market
capitalistic. No other kind works. That is silly. A building must follow
the laws of engineering. You cannot make it out materials so weak the walls
will collapse. You cannot make a house out of straw or bubble gum; you have
to use wood, stone, brick or steel. But within these restrictions we can
make an infinite variety of different houses.

Martin Ford described one possible economy based on robot labor. (
http://www.thelightsinthetunnel.com/) Other people will come up with better
ideas. I am sure we can work something out, if we try. Mankind has fixed
countless similar problems in the past. Life has improved tremendously for
most people. History gives us every reason to be optimistic.