Michael Foster <mf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

As with any significant and potentially profitable new technology, there is
> a storm of treachery, theft, false claims and injustice surrounding it. The
> Daguerreotype is a prime example. . . .

Yup. There is usually a storm of treachery, theft and so on.

> Arago did this because he wanted his friend, Daguerre, to get all the
> credit, the glory, and the money. It worked. I'll bet this is first any of
> you have heard of poor Mr. Bayard. Arago's scheme to award Daguerre a
> pension for making the Daguerreotype process free to the world was a nasty
> cold-hearted way to eliminate any profits Bayard may have made from patents.

Ah, so things were not as they seemed. Not surprising. The bad guys often
make themselves out to look good. Galileo was a typical example. He is
described as a saint in most accounts, but in others I have read he was a
political animal. He was in it for power and money, and he overreached.