In addition, you can see the vapor trails and it's clear that at some point
there was two objects. It looks to me more like a piece of the meteor fell
behind after breaking up, but caught up because the main mass slowed
significantly rigght before exploding, which matches standard behavior, it
hit a thicker layer, caught atmosphere, slowed while creating massive
friction, heated up enough to cause gas pockets to erupt.  the fragment
didn't go THROUGH it, it went past it on a more aerodynamic path.