While I do not disagree with your 1000 year view of our potential, we
currently have all of our eggs, literally, sitting in one basket on this
Earth. We need to solve that as well as detection, interception of the bad
stuff headed our way.

Love your robots.  Curiosity should have a front row seat to that comet
approaching mars next year.