Thanks for pointing out this exchange, Steven. I have been following the discussion and have been commenting privately to Krivit.

The level of confusion in this field, as revealed by the discussions I read and what Krivit says, is too great for conventional science to take any interest. I know because in my past life I was a conventional scientist.

When working in conventional science, the rules are well known so that the discussions are with people who share this understanding and the focus is in how the rules apply. The chemist talks to other chemists who know the rules that apply to chemistry while the physicist talks to other physicists, who also know the rules that apply to their particular study. Cold fusion is different. Here, no agreement about the rules exists, not even among the physicists about physics. To make matters worse, the rules that apply to chemistry are ignored or considered unimportant. Krivit has made the confusion even worse why defending the least rational explanation.

I think the field has a basic and irreconcilable flaw that will doom to rejection it until someone gets very lucky and can provide a demonstration that cannot be ignored. I do not see this happening anytime soon.

As for what Garwin said, this is irrelevant. Until Garwin and people like him step in and clearly support the claims, nothing will change. An ambiguous comment has no value and is a waste of time to even discuss.

Ed