I read in a separate article that the ocean depth at which the rare metals were discovered (5600+ meters) would pose significant technical challenges in extracting the rare metals with current technology....

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201303220057

The Chikyu, a JAMSTEC deep-sea drilling vessel, has recovered seabed mud from a depth of 2,500 meters for research purposes. A seabed oil field has been developed overseas at a depth of 3,000 meters.

But the development of seabed resources at depths of more than 5,000 meters has no precedent, either at home or abroad. There remains a mountain of technological challenges, including how to withstand water pressure and ocean currents and how to process the mining products in the ocean, sources said.

No mention of that in this article - I wonder which one is more accurate and how long it would take to overcome these "challenges"