This is a paper in the latest issue of J. Condensed Matter Nucl. Sic.:

http://www.iscmns.org/CMNS/JCMNS-Vol11.pdf

Over the years, many experts in mass spectroscopy have told me that SIMS
can be inaccurate in some conditions, such as when one isotope is found in
much lower concentration than another. This paper does a good job of
spelling out the limitations and cautions you should bring to a SIMS
analysis.

Isotope shifts are one of the most difficult things to confirm in cold
fusion. If they are real, they are probably important. If not, they are a
waste of time. That does not help much, does it?

This issue also features an interesting look at Ed Storms' theory,
including a debate with one of the referees who wanted to reject the paper.
A civil, thoughtful debate.

As Jean-Paul said in the Preface:

"Again in this volume, I had to make a decision regarding a paper by Edmund
Storms. The referee did not agree with the reviewer, therefore we decided
to publish the paper along with the comments of the referee. I know that
this is not a common way of including the comments of referee in scientific
journals, but this field is very uncommon, and deserves an unusual openness
to ideas and suggestions."