Hi,
[snip]
>Axil,
>

>What happens to an electron that is in free space when it encounters a photon?
> One could easily imagine that it merely changes momentum and energy relative
>to our observation frame, but then you have to ask about the issue of time.
>

>So, what does a free space electron that absorbs a photon

That's easy. A free space electron can't (permanently) absorb a photon. It can
however have "Compton effect" encounter with the photon. I.e. the photon loses
some of its energy to the electron (and changes in frequency as a result), and
also exchanges some momentum with the electron.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk