I think I understand know how a virtual neutron can be created in the a
metal like Ni or Pd.   First I've never have been a hydro fan, because it
seemed to violate the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.   If it
sub S(n=1) quantums states did exist in H there should be a very strong
series of sub S(n=1) lamer lines in the ultraviolet which have never been
observed.  I think the same would appear in the binding properties of H in
a metal, so I'm skeptical of the sub S(n=1) quantum states.

However, it could it be possible that the radius of the S(n=1) can be
influenced by the sea of charge from the conduction electrons in certain
metals?   After reading a the vortex discussions on the Latest issue of the
Condensed Matter Nuclear Physics,  It seemed interesting that Ni-62+
virtual n (ie p + sub s(n=1)e.) -> Cu 63 + weak beta-.   However, I still
could not bring myself  to accept, that a p + sub s(n=1) e- could make a
virtual neutron.  Electron screening is fairly well accepted theory but
nothing close to making a virtual neutron.  But then, I started thinking;
you know metals are a much different environment from a gas state that we
normally think of for hydrogen atoms.   What if instead of the electrons
moving to a sub s(n=1) state simply is the standard s(n=1) shrunken due to
electro-static repulsion from sea of electrons that makes up the background
charge of the host metal?   In that case, the physics should be fairly
simple to understand.   Amazingly then there are no miracles!

If this speculation is correct, it might be demonstrable in an electron
density map comparing standard metal, with a hydrated metal.  Neutron
scattering of a hydrated metal could be very revealing (and I suspect that
has already been done somewhere).  X-ray crystallography studies of
hydrated metals might also show evidence of a compacted hydrogen s(n=1)
state.

If that is possible, it becomes the first time that I can see how the heat
from Ni H could be nuclear in origin.

Cheers!