After his treatment by the AIP, who can blame Bishop for being "conflicted"
about cold fusion both because we're all "conflicted" about it because
virtually none of us are the "true believers" the shit-for-brains
pseudoskeptics make us out to be, and because there is tremendous value
demanding investigation combined with tremendous power threatening
retribution for honest investigation.

How anyone could keep their head screwed on straight through all that is a
question for the ages.