Somewhere in all these recent comments, Jones Beene made interesting
observations about the cost of nickel isotopes. I cannot find the comments.
The gist of it was that if Rossi device requires an unusual metal isotope
the cost may not be much cheaper than conventional energy.

I believe that is incorrect. When I was researching the book I read some
books and online resources about isotope separation, especially heavy water
but also zinc and other elements. Perhaps my information is out of date,
but what I learned then was that isotope separation technology has not been
pursued much since World War II, when it was first developed for nuclear
weapons.

There has not been much practical use for isotopes. If a mass-market for a
particular nickel isotope emerged, I believe that rapid progress would be
made and the cost would soon fall.

I also learned that much of the cost of isotope separation is for energy.
Most of the techniques are energy intensive. Therefore, a cold fusion
economy that called for isotope separation would bootstrap itself to lower
costs. I illustrated this with the projected cost of heavy water, but that
would apply to nickel as well, I think.

I believe the quoted costs for isotopes are for highly pure monoisotopic
samples. I do not think that Rossi would need a pure sample. If he only
increased the concentration of one rare isotope, without eliminating the
others, I assume that would work.