He knew in advance that they were going to do radiometric calorimetry, and he
knew what temperature range they were going to use. So he painted it with an
appropriate substance to have a high emitivity (or whatever).

The first four tests-- two described by Penon,  plus the November and December
tests -- were all high temperature, so they were all painted the same.