I should probably point out that Norman Ramsey had to threaten to resign as
co-chair from the DoE panel if they did not include that in the preamble.
 Clearly Ramsey saw what Charles P. Beaudette has has documented in "Excess
Heat":

The 5 week rush to judgement after the March 1989 press conference was an
obscenity.  Ramsey didn't want to come down on the wrong side of history
but he saw what was going on in the politics of the field.  He removed
himself from what Martin Fleischmann, toward the end of his life, called
"the dreadful research".