To my best understanding, in energetic hydrogen the electron orbits move
further away from the nucleus, not closer.

* *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sommerfeld_ellipses.svg

Quantum mechanically a state with abnormally high *n* refers to an atom in
which the valence electron(s) have been excited into a formerly
unpopulated electron
orbital <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital> with higher energy
and lower binding energy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_energy>.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sommerfeld_ellipses.svg>,

The low binding energy at high values of *n* explains why Rydberg states
are susceptible to ionization.