Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Ockham be damned ! Don’t forget that appeals to “parsimony” were used by
> skeptics to argue the wrong side of many past issues - against DNA for
> instance, as the carrier of genetic information. . . .

It is a rule of thumb, not a law of physics.

". . . more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules." -- Cpt.
Barbossa

Many pernicious notions masquerading as rules of science circulate. The one
I hate most is, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." NO! No,
no, no, no, NO. They require ordinary proof. Textbook proof, from off the
shelf, standard, conventional instruments.

There are many problems with that idea, enumerated by Melich and me. I
published that here before. Here is one that we did not list:

When you go about devising "extraordinary" proof, you design extraordinary
equipment, such as custom built calorimeters far more sensitive or
sophisticated than the measurements call for. This does not enhance
believability. On the contrary, it reduces it. People do not understand how
your super-calorimeter works, and they do not trust it because it is custom
designed, and one of a kind.

Over-engineered instruments also make people think the measurement is much
harder than it is. They look at McKubre's thermocouples, which cost
thousands of dollars and measure to ~0.001 deg C (as I recall) and they say
things like: "Levi will have to use similar thermocouples before we believe
the surface temperature of the reactor is correct."

If Levi et al. were to return to Rossi's place with some kind super-deluxe
custom watt meter designed by a committee of skeptics to answer every
possible imaginary objection, that instrument would be unwieldy. No one
would trust it, least of all me. I would prefer they bring an off-the-shelf
top-notch industrial meter such as any power company engineer uses. They
should ask the experts at Elforsk what meter they recommend. They should
ignore any suggestions from astrophysicists or so-called "skeptics"

Here is something for people who think Levi should take advice from
theoretical astrophysicists such as Ethan Siegel. Imagine you have two new
construction houses, freshly built and wired up to code, one by an
electrician -- any electrician -- and the other by Prof. Siegel. Your job
is to step into the house, turn on the main breaker, and turn on the
lights. Which would you feel more confidence in? Hmmmmm . . .? Okay,
perhaps Prof. Siegel has some practical abilities. However, suppose the
house was wired by a *committee* of astrophysicists. I can just about
guarantee it would burn down.

Now, before you say, "yeah, well, electrochemists and chemists have no
practical skills either!" consider this:

Ed Storms did, in fact, wire up new construction. His own house. It passed
code.

Tadahiko Mizuno single-handedly maintained a larger fraction of Japan's
cold war nuclear bomb radiation detection equipment, installed on the roof
of Hokkaido U. It dates back to the 1960s and it was used to detect the
North Korean bomb tests.

John Bockris wrote the book on practical, hands-on electrochemistry.

Most experimentalists are way ahead of theoreticians. However, in the case
of the upcoming Levi tests, I would still leave the choice of instruments
up to an experienced power company engineer.