Fran,

I think it's hard to determine exactly where nuclear effects occur in arcs
- assuming the experiments are conducted and reported correctly.

As time permits, I am trying to calculate how much energy an electron in a
plasma can borrow from its surrounding current using some neglected
physics tools - the magnetic vector potential and/or the Darwin
Hamiltonian.

I believe that the energy an impacting 5-eV arc electron can deliver in a
collision is far higher than 5-eV - i.e., calculate the cross-terms for
(generalized) kinetic energy in the Darwin Hamiltonian.  This is analogous
to the example Brian Josephson uses in his video where the tip of a pin
borrows energy from the body of the pin to puncture paper.

Possibly also, when are current rapidly changes, an inner K-shell electron
of an atom in a metal-vapor arc can sometimes acquiring enough energy to
enter the nucleus (causing electron-capture transmutation - endothermic).

Just speculating.

-- Lou Pagnucco