I suspect that ECAT active cooling would be possible with thermal control.
This would behave in a reverse manner to active heating which is how he
currently controls the ECAT.  To make it work he would have to figure out a
method of modulating the amount of heat that he extracts from the core at a
relatively rapid rate and under controlled conditions.  Earlier I suggested
some form of spray of coolant onto the core which would vaporize quickly taking
away a lot of heat during that phase.  Once the lower turn around temperature
is reached, the spray would cease and if lucky, the core would turn around its
direction of temperature movement.

This would indeed have a large COP since all of the heat is derived from the
core that is used to activate and control the device.  Of course startup would
still require some external source of heat as now.  And, thermal run away would
still be possible unless the cooling had some form of fail safe feature that
activates when the core gets too hot.

The current version appears to be simple to build and Rossi has a great deal of
experience with its performance so I would be surprised for him to abandon it
this soon.  The first units will likely use added heat thermal control as now.
DGT may have an advantage in their design as has been discussed before.  If the
spark type system truly acts like a starved fuel device, then they should be
safer to operate without thermal problems.  Unfortunately, they have released
far too little data for us to have great confidence in their design as of this
time but things may change quickly in the next few days.

Dave