I would assumed that with so much of what I would assume are extremely
unhealthy amounts of radiation ending up being absorbed into the surrounding
soil and indigenous plant and animal life that scientists would have noticed
a distinct population drop-off of what can survive and apparently continue
to remain healthy in these areas.

On a related matter, In regards to the Chernobyl disaster which happened
back in the 1980s I recently watched a special where scientists revisited
the decimated area to check up on the wildlife. It was surreal to see
scientists and researchers walking about in full radiation protective garb
taking geiger count samples while surrounded by what appears [and I want to
emphasize the word "appears"] to be healthy plants and animal life. The
scientists recorded the fact that there appears to be thriving herds of elk
and/or deer and wolf packs that are more than happy to hunt them down and
eat them. I was disappointed that the program didn't go into more detail
analyzing the demographics of the wild life in more detail. I wanted to know
what the over-all health and average age of the indigenous wild life was in
these affected areas. I was as if the program gave me the impression that
the scientists had not been prepared for what they saw, and subsequently had
not made adequate provisions to collect the appropriate kind of demographic
data.

I would have loved to have known what the average life-span of the herds and
accompanying wolf populations were. Did they go down, or stay relatively the
same as to the rest of the non-radiated area? Is it possible we are
witnessing an example of evolution-in-action - as Nature selects of the
fittest genetic combinations that are more capable of withstanding harsher
doses of radiation and subsequently pass those advantageous traits down to
their progeny? I dunno. Would sure like to know.

I am in no way am I implying that we shouldn't be concerned nor horrified by
the amount of radiation that has been unleashed into the surrounding areas
of places like Fukushima and Chernobyl. It's just that it would appear that
Nature may on occasion turn out to be more resilient and resourceful that we
might have first expected. Maybe we've, in a sense, lucked out.

I'm reminded of a phrase uttered by Jeff Goldblum in the film Jurassic Park:
"Life finds a way."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWeMvrNiOM

Let's hope Nature doesn't whip up a new batch of ravenous boars and monkeys
the size of station wagons ravaging the landscape, eating everything in
sight.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

svjart.OrionWorks.com