I have a very uncertain position on that affair, as no outcome seems good
in what is happening... My best hope is Syria becoming a group of
independent states where each minority cansurvive, even it it mean etnic
cleansing like in yougoslavia...

I expect any winner to genocide the opponents. so best is no winner, or two
winner.
another solution is  a "rational" foreign country taking control of the
country, and evoiding genocide (à la Tito)... Not US as we know the result.
maybe Iran, which is the most rational in the zone (don't laugh, I have
data from my network... they are politically more rational and measured
than many around... better than israel, saudi, US, EU... of course they
have position of privacy that I don't support, but they have a brain,
unlike the others cited who have electors)...
anyway I expect no good outcome, because of foreign interference, and I
expect  a genocide like in Indonesia in the 60s, or like in rwanda (pre and
post kagame), with a million dead.

back to that claim.

First the claim the Syrian rebels bombed their own population is absurd
since the attach was very deadly, and because local rebels would have cared
about making symbolic loses to trigger international reaction, not that
horror (the horror is validated by NGO, chemical is validated by symptioms,
only kind of chemical and origin is doubtful).

 The claim that foreigners, funded by big cash, and fanatic enough, may
have bombed foreign population to trigger foreign action is possible...
During WW2 we have seen a big democracy (I let you guess) bomb civilians to
force the local germans authorities to surrenders, claiming it was
targeting th port, while it was clearly targeting the population (data from
mum). so  no need to look very far.

in that claim, which is unverified, there is an interesting point : that
they used their own gas ammos, from Saudi source.
If the gas used is not the one Assad owns, then we may detect that
(improbable, but possible) hypothesis. I just imagine that Saudi rebels if
doing so, would have stollen Assad stock, or used identical chemicals...

anyway Assad responsability seems probable.
He probably did so, according to retracted (hum!) French sources because
CIA/saudi trained units came in the south suburb of damas and were
seriously endanger the regime.

I don't like assad, but im sure that all Shia, christian, druze, will be
genocided if the Suni rebels, especially the saudi funded units...
Afghanistan V3.0

look for the position of Nassim Nicholas Taleb who is from that region.
maybe he have better information than me.

I imagine that he just want that syria state disappear and be replaced by a
Swiss like federation, including lebanon.