I'm not sure that moderation is the best way, but even if so, I think it is
impossible to control the spread of LENR.

LENR, once proven, even without retro-engineering, will be too easy to copy.
If Defkalion and rossi protect their IP, team lik Defkalion in Africa,
China, Asia, Brasil, will create clone...
some mafia will create clone and some informal citizen networks will
develop copies...

it will be uncontrollable.
If a neigbour propose me a Defkalion CHP clone for 5-10k$ I may discuss,
but a small business in Africa will not discuss, to save the awful price of
energy.

then the incumbent will have to increase prices because they are losing
clients, and finally they will push competitors... they will die in less
than 10 years, whatever the government or the corps decide.

At short term it may be reassuring to pretend it will be slow, you are
right.
but it will be a lie.

LENR is not like nuclear energy, or even oil digging... it is small-sized,
not hightech... it can be sold to individual at acceptable price...

If you forbid it it will be like US alcohol prohibition...