Rob Dingemans <manonbrid...@aim.com> wrote:

Dear Jed,

> On 23-9-2013 20:13, Jed Rothwell wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, decreasing the cost of energy is likely to improve first
>> world economies sooner than it improves third world countries or China,
>> since we have more high tech, we have more ways to grow the economy, and we
>> import more energy per capita than they do. Lower energy costs would be a
>> tremendous boon to Japan, because they are closing down all of the nuclear
>> power plants.
>>

> You would be right if the focus of the ones in charge were to be on
> lowering energy cost and gaining a higher standard of living for ALL people.
> However I strongly doubt if that is what their real intention is.

"Intentions" play no role in economics. No one is in charge. Many people
think they are in charge, but as we saw in the 2008 economic collapse,
those people actually have no power and no control over anything. If it
becomes generally known that cold fusion is real and that it can save every
American ~$2,000 per year, no force on earth could stop the development --
or slow it down. Money has power over society than anything else. Even if
both political parties and every member of the 1% elite opposed cold fusion
there is nothing they could do to stop it from being developed. The demand
will be too strong. The profit motive too strong.

In fact, many large industries and many members of the elite will want cold
fusion, because they will make money with it. Exxon will surely go bankrupt
soon. That's $450 billion per year lost. Others will make that money
instead. It isn't going to fall down a black hole. It won't be going to
Saudi Arabia any more. People who stop buying gas will spend the money
elsewhere.

> I tend to agree with Alain and Edmund's (probably also Peter Gluck's)
> perception of how the world is "managed".

The world is never managed. It is chaos and happenstance. No one is in
charge, because no one can predict the future. The people who think they
are in charge, such as Alan Greenspan, usually turn out to be witless.

People did not even anticipate the rise of natural gas electric power
generation, which is rapidly overtaking coal. That is a conventional source
of energy. It is a minor, incremental change in the technology. It is
blowing the coal companies out of the water. No one cares about that except
people who own stock in coal companies, and coal miners. There are more
people building wind turbines than there are miners, so it makes little
difference to the overall economy. See:

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=7090