On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> John Berry <berry.joh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I disagree, if you are twisted, and want the power of fear over people to
>> control them with more draconian measures and to start a war because you
>> want people to support for conquest, and lowering the population,
>> overthrowing governments and because it would cause huge financial gain for
>> military manufacturing.
>>

> You seem to have no feel for how big a thermonuclear bomb explosion is, or
> what it would do. I can imagine a small attack fitting the purposes you
> describe. Even a larger one such as the 9/11 aircraft attacks. But anything
> on the scale of single nuclear bomb in Washington DC would not cause a
> "financial gain" -- it would destroy money as we know it. There is no
> conceivable "financial gain" from the explosion of a thermonuclear bomb, in
> any city on earth. That cannot benefit anyone.
>
> The extent of the damage would be unimaginable. The smallest modern bomb
> is far larger than the Hiroshima bomb, which was a horror you cannot begin
> to conceive of. Not only the physical damage, but also damage to things
> like the stock market, the financial markets, healthcare, infrastructure or
> insurance. Those institutions would cease to exist. Every life and property
> insurance company would be instantly bankrupt. There isn't enough money in
> all the insurance companies in the world to cover the damages or pay off
> the policies. There are many wealthy people in Washington, DC. The
> population density is high.

That is a good point, but the some of the same could have been argued about
the disruption of taking the WTC down and flying something into the
Pentagon.
Yet I and based on surveys possibly a majority of people are certain this
did happen.

I guess it depends on how much you want to reshape things, it doesn't make
sense to me.
Also what if the nuke's yield was reduced to appear more like whatever
North Korea managed to detonate underground a few years ago?

Also I do not know much about the size of Washington DC, but if it was
detonated in a remote area?  Possibly to be argued that it was detonated
early because the good guys were on to them...

I know I can't make sense of a lot that governments do.

If you were to set off a bomb in a small city in North Carolina or the
> Midwest, the economy would survive. It is cruel to say this, but that would
> kill far fewer people, and most of the victims would have smaller life
> insurance policies.

So maybe the insurance money is part of the reason?
I know that things that seem inconceivable to me look like good ideas to
the wrong kind of psychopath.

>> They may be ignorant, stupid, or self-centered, but they are not insane.
>>> Bush was the closest person that fit this category, but he is gone along
>>> with the rest of his group.
>>>

>> I am afraid that I am unable to understand the sense in a great many
>> things that are done.
>>

> There are degrees of senselessness. There are mistakes, big mistakes,
> horrendous mistakes, and then there are things like the Battle of the Somme
> or the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Governments seldom make mistakes on
> the latter scale.

Yesterday I watched an episode of QI, it is reasonably amusing, funny and
informative.
 One bit of info was a steam submarine, it had funnels to let the steam out.
Well it worked the way you would imagine a submarine with hole in it would
work.

More people have been killed by their own government than in all wars.

John