Deciding why CF was rejected is difficult because so many variables apply and each person only experienced part of the process. To start the evaluation, the basic reasons need to be acknowledged. Once the reasons are available, their importance needs to be determined. The importance of each would be different to different people at the time. For example, an academic would find the conflict with theory important while a politician would consider the threat to an industry more important. So, the reason for rejection will depend on which person you ask.

Initially, the idea was not rejected by many people who later found reasons to reject. The rejection grew because certain high-profile laboratories could not make the effect work easily. Granted, many of the efforts were done with no expectation it would work while using sloppy technique. However, if the studies had been successful, all the reasons for rejection would have disappeared.

When it worked on occasion, I found these successes were generally ignored. They were ignored locally at the laboratories where the studies were made and later by the DOE panel. You might ask why success was ignored.

I can suggest three main reasons were used by normally rational, honest, and educated men to modify what they believed.

1. The claim conflicted with known and expected behavior based on hot fusion. People assumed CF and HF were the same phenomenon. Some people still have this belief.

2. The claim, if real, would eliminate the need for hot fusion. This caused everyone supported by HF to band together to reject CF.

3. The claim, if real, would threaten all industries based on conventional energy. This caused every one at high level in government who are loyal to these industries to band together against CF.

Based on these reasons, the media was used by the organizations that have this influence to focus the opinions of unthinking people by creating the myth we see today. These same people saw to it that the patent office did not grant patents and that the government did not grant financial support. In short, the system that controls what we believe and what path the US follows came together to stop CF. From then on, whatever reason that worked was used, much like how the Iraq war was justified. The truth no longer mattered.

In addition, the irrationally that lurks below the surface in the US was released and focused on Fleischmann and Pons. They both had to leave the US to find peace and safety in other countries. We see this irrationally coming to the surface again, but now the issue is economic.

In sort, the experience with CF reveals a condition in society well beyond the scientific issue.