Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

I recall seeing a link to slides somewhere on this list with advice to
> people giving demos -- something to the effect that you should demo an
> earlier model rather than your latest one.

Sure. That's often prudent. The latest version may not be debugged. It
might fail unexpectedly, whereas with a previous version you know the
weaknesses and the work-arounds. A software developer working on version
3.5 prefers to show 3.4 to a potential customer.

To take an actual example, when Rossi handed the Hot cat to ELFORSK for
testing, I'll bet he did not think it would melt! An earlier, cooler model
would not have melted. So, to make a good impression he should have stuck
with an earlier model. But, to show them the most impressive performance
and the most definitive result, he gave them most recent version, even
though it was unstable.

Defkalion's demo device was not one generation behind what they claimed
they had years ago. It was extremely crude compared to that. So I guess
they were exaggerating years earlier. I guess so, but I do not know what to
make of those people.