I like that, thanks! Spot on.

From: Jones Beene [mailto:jone...@pacbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:13 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:What if we live in a simulated reality?

The reason that the opinion of many scientists in this simulated reality
discussion is not particularly valid or helpful - is they cannot divorce
themselves from the idealism that somehow "logic" or truth is at the
baseline of the Sim.

Logic is not in any way a requirement for this kind of simulation. In fact
some level of whim can be expected. Kokopelli and other tricksters are
deeply imbedded in this Sim, no doubt in my mind :-)

For instance, one of the commentators sez: "Learning we live in a simulation
would make no more difference to my life than believing that the universe
was seeded at the Big Bang," but he imagines the simulators as driven by a
motivation to understand the cosmos, with no desire to interfere with their
simulations for more selfish reasons. Not a valid assumption ! In fact, it
is fairly juvenile to assume both a Sim and a lack of understanding.

The programmers of "our" simulation (Planet Earth circa 21st century) could
as easily be teenage students somewhere on a highly advance computer out
there in the Chi Sagittarii star group... you know... the ones who coded in
the infamous "Wow signal" 35 years ago... just to spice up the simulation.

In fact, based on what we know firsthand - a more likely scenario for the
"Mr Smiths" of our present simulation, is  that some kind of a "gamer
mentality" prevails at the highest level - and that a "desire to understand
the cosmos" is ridiculous (their ancestors did that a million years ago). A
gamer mentality, where there is some kind of underlying competition ongoing
- this also explains why "evil" often wins, planned or unplanned. Of course,
"evil" is often defined by those who have not succeeded despite thinking
they had "God" on their side. Look how close the Nazi's came.

In looking at the more general systemic forces which have been in conflict
in humanity since about 1929 (probably the reboot of the current Sim) -
which was a seminal year in human progression, it appears now that there
could be a basic competition going on between programmers who want to
determine which organizational system works best with humanoids to control
their productive output. It is not capitalism, not communism, and not
totalitarianism, and possibly may not involve our species in the end (except
as the progenitors).

Of course, the gamers are risking "exposure" now that A.I. is becoming
closer to reality. A.I. may have developed a life (reality) of its own which
clears up everything, and possibly within a few decades.

OTOH, perhaps "A.I. itself" is more than a meme which is taking over the
game, and "it" will soon expel both the Mr Smiths and the Matrix heroes and
neos in favor of a species better able than homo sapiens to progress towards
some unknown goal... (such as following instructions)... "ours but to do and
die" ... lordy, lordy what a revolting development this is.  :-)

                From: Blaze Spinnaker

http://discovermagazine.com/home/issues/2013/dec/09%20do%20we%20live%20in%20
the%20matrix#.UpV2cGSOg9w
<http://discovermagazine.com/home/issues/2013/dec/09%20do%20we%20live%20in%2
0the%20matrix>

                I was thinking that the quantum law that waveforms are not
collapsed until observed is a useful law which would come in handy for
simulation in terms of load balancing (no need to calculate the waveform
until it's actually observed).

                Jones Beene wrote:
                Thirteenth Floor ... déjà vu all over again
                There is no defensible answer to "what is reality"... but if
we add "Inception" to this 2005 list, which includes "Vanilla Sky," the
"Matrix" films, "Minority Report," "Dark City"  and "The Cube" ... we are
left with a glimpse of something which defies logic

---
is active.