I believe the problem with fringe subjects is that the focus goes of the
end results and does not focus on the underlying physics.

If you just chase an effect that is not really understood thoroughly
enough, then what you end up getting looks more like magic than science.
Complete with superstitions about how to get results as cold fusion has
seen with troublesome replications.

Of course if you want to understand the physics that can allow something
unexpected or impossible by the current framework, you have to be willing
to look where conventional physics went wrong.

 John