Based upon the number/type off cell channels on the tower it looks like it
can be a total of 30,000-75,000 W per tower at peak use.  Multiply that by
x number of towers and you can see it adds up fast.  Throw in a couple of
250,000 to 750,000 watt Doppler weather stations and a few FM and high def
TV stations and I am surprised we can even think anymore...

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1307523
The answer is not simple.

Firstly, "cell tower" does not equal "cell site". There may be several
carriers' sites operating from the same tower, each with its own
powerful<http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1307523#> radio
and signal amplification equipment.

Secondly, the electricity load varies throughout the day, depending on the
call volume and data rates <http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1307523#> handled
by each site. Downtown sites see their highest usage during office hours,
and especially at lunchtime; freeway "corridor" sites peak during rush
hour. Rural sites covering large areas may handle relatively few calls for
much of the time. The "resting" load of a site (when there are no calls in
progress) can be as low as 20 W.

Finally, the number of radios and amplifiers in a site determines its range
(its "coverage") and the maximum volume of calls it can handle (its
"capacity"). Some sites, especially in busy urban areas, are enormous,
housing <http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1307523#> as many as 12-24 radios
per sector for GSM and 1-3 per sector for W-CDMA, for a total of 39-81
radios, plus associated amplifiers and HVAC units for cooling. These sites
may need a 400 A AC feed (or more) and draw a whopping 30-75 kW at peak use.

More typically, a cell site runs at an average of about 0.5-3.5 kW, so
total electricity usage in a month would be between 350 kWh and 2500 kWh,
or from about half-a-house to three-times-a-house.

Read more: How much energy/electricity does a cell phone tower typically
use in a month? |
Answerbag<http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1307523#ixzz2nIa2yO1N>