Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> No inventor, no matter how brilliant, gets to automatically make the final
> scientific determination about how his device functions. He may insist that
> he designed it to function in a certain manner, but that is not enough.

Yes! This is important. It should be obvious, but for some reason in this
field the person who first does an experiment is considered to go-to expert
to explain it theoretically. The researchers themselves fall into this
trap. Arata was first to use nanoparticles. Many of his papers are devoted
to theory, such as his latticequake theory. I don't think he is
particularly qualified to do theory.

This did not happen in the past as much. Edison discovered the Edison
effect (thermionic emission) but I do not think he tried to explain it. He
was not a theorist. (Although I think he understood more about chemistry
and theory than he let on.)