Despite the occasional textbook emphasis in cosmology on visible light,
gamma radiation, CMB (cosmic background radiation) and UV: all of those are
almost immaterial in the big picture, and it is the far-infrared spectrum
(which is essentially is the THz region) which is ... by far ... the most
important spectral radiation in the Universe.

The FIR accounts for about 98% of all the photons existing in the Universe !
A. W. Blain, et al "Submillimeter galaxies," Physics Reports, vol. 369, pp.
111-176, 2002 and dozens of other similar references. Whoa! Even if most of
it is blackbody related.

Because of the high opacity of the Earth's atmosphere, there is no
accessibility to this FIR range from the ground, even with telescopes - and
observation is only by space borne instruments. That explains why we have
been somewhat ignorant of the surprising proportionality. The great majority
of cosmologists may not fully appreciate this extreme dis-proportionality,
given how little attention FIR receives. (same with dark matter).

Anyway, it's news to me: actually a paradigm shift... of Universal
proportions. Blain is a respected cosmologist at CalTech and he probably has
this correct, given the number of publication and lack of dissent, but still
... big surprise in its implications, and also for LENR !

Perhaps it will come as an additional surprise to mainstream physics when
LENR is also shown to be an artifact of this FIR spectrum. That is
speculation but projecting this factoid into future, it is even possible
that LENR could be a substantial contributor to the energy balance of the
Universe (in addition to blackbody radiation, which is most of FIR). That
would be in the gigantic gas clouds that dominate the mass of galaxies. It
is even possible that dark matter itself emits radiation ONLY in the FIR
(and dark matter could be 80% or more of the mass of the Universe). BTW -
the FIR is essentially "dark" when it is not intense and coherent. It is
technically not in the "visible" range without the intensity we see in say,
the HotCat.

In fact, given how little we know in 2014 about the Universe and the nature
of dark matter - it would not surprise me, at some future point in time, to
learn that the preponderance of energy from LENR surpasses all of the energy
from hot fusion in Stars, perhaps by a substantial margin. Huge paradigm
shift ... if that is the case, no?

You heard it first on Vortex :-)