On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Here is their patent - it appears to be photoelectric [snip]

Abstract
> The invention relates to a method for producing thermal energy, wherein
> light, initial material is introduced into a plasma arc

I don't think it claims to involve a photoelectric effect; it does not
appear to make any attempt to explain what's going on.  It seems to be a
water torch invention in the lineage of Brown's gas, where water is
dissociated into hydrogen and oxygen, and it tries to improve upon a 1990
cold fusion patent [1].  It refers to water rather than noble gasses, so I
think the comparison to Papp's device only goes so far.  But it definitely
reminds me of many of the electric arc devices/experiments.  The present
patent focuses a lot on the electric arc and the waveform used to drive it.

It is surprising to me that someone can write all of this stuff up and get
a patent for it.  There is very little to clearly differentiate this patent
from any number of experiments and patents that are out there.  I recall
hearing that in the European patent system, you get a patent automatically
upon application, but this does not imply that it is defendable.

Eric

[1] https://www.google.com/patents/EP0393465A2