There's an interesting discussion of the role of the statistical p-value in
science in a recent article published online at Nature:

For all the P value's apparent precision, Fisher intended it to be just one
> part of a fluid, non-numerical process that blended data and background
> knowledge to lead to scientific conclusions. But it soon got swept into a
> movement to make evidence-based decision-making as rigorous and objective
> as possible. This movement was spearheaded in the late 1920s by Fisher's
> bitter rivals, Polish mathematician Jerzy Neyman and UK statistician Egon
> Pearson, who introduced an alternative framework for data analysis that
> included statistical power, false positives, false negatives and many other
> concepts now familiar from introductory statistics classes. They pointedly
> left out the P value.

It seems to me that normal human judgment is inseparable from the
day-to-day work of science, and that statistics is best thought of as
another tool in the hands of someone who is skilled at their work.  This
makes scientific endeavor sound a little more like art than science.  (I
think Feyerabend might agree.)

Eric