Harry,

I see your objection and I certainly would agree that two electrons moving in
parallel to each other would not see any relative motion.   The question that
we need to address is how does a randomly moving observer make a determination
that a magnetic field would influence the forces appearing between the
electrons?   For the stationary electrons there is no magnetic field but
instead coulomb repulsion.

If we now assume that we occupy a new frame that is moving relative to the two
electrons then what should we measure?  First, the movement of the first
electron should result in the generation of a magnetic field along with the
electric field that is normally expected.  This magnetic field will have a
component that appears in the location of the second electron from our point of
view.   I assume that we are in agreement about this issue.

Also, we observe that the second electron is moving through the magnetic field
component that is a result of the motion of the first electron.  I can think of
no reason that we would not be able to calculate the force experienced by the
second electron due to the field.  This is how I approached the problem.  One
of the expectations for this line of reasoning is that there should be an
infinite number of values for the force encountered by the second electron
depending upon the relative movement of the observer.

When I plugged in the force generated by this process when the observer is
moving at the speed of light, I obtained a magnetic force that is exactly equal
to the coulomb force but opposite in direction.  This seemed to be quite a
coincidence.  A bit of reflection suggested that this calculation might well be
an indication that electrons moving at approximately the speed of light
relative to an observer are indeed frozen in position due to infinite time
dilation and not repelled apart.   Using opposite charges also yields the same
result.

I suppose that I tend to think of particles moving within an accelerator at
nearly the speed of light as being similar to the case I am describing.   They
should experience time dilation due to the movement and should tend to remain
grouped together instead of springing apart as you might expect from like
charges.

Perhaps this line of reasoning is interesting to  further pursue.

Dave