The Third Way of Thermal-Electric Conversion beyond Seebeck and Pyroelectric
Effects

Thermal-electric conversion is crucial for smart energy control and harvesting,
such as thermal sensing and waste heat recovering. So far, people are aware of
only two ways of direct thermal-electric conversion, Seebeck and pyroelectric
effects, each with distinct working conditions and limitations. Here, we report
the third way of thermal-electric conversion beyond Seebeck and pyroelectric
effects. In contrast to Seebeck effect that requires spatial temperature
difference, the-third-way converts the time-dependent ambient temperature
fluctuation into electricity, similar to the behavior of pyroelectricity.
However, the-third-way is also distinct from pyroelectric effect in the sense
that it does not require polar materials but applies to general conducting
systems. We demonstrate that the-third-way results from the
temperature-fluctuation-induced dynamical charge redistribution. It is a
consequence of the fundamental nonequilibrium thermodynamics and has a deep
connection to the topological phase in quantum mechanics. The findings expand
our knowledge and provide new means of thermal-electric energy harvesting.
(Jie Ren)

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.3645.pdf

- Mark Jurich