I'm somewhat disturbed by the fact that, although Google presents the
linked article as the top result (at least to me), the rest of the first
page is an assortment of unrelated theory.  How such an obviously important
isomorphism (that between special relativity's law of velocity addition and
the law of probability addition) could go so unnoticed in an era of
increasing awareness of the relevance of "it from bit" is beyond me, but I
do know that web pages tend to go away at a high frequency.  If that were
to happen to this web page, it would relegate the isomorphism far less
accessible to the interested amateur who might be willing to risk his
non-existent reputation on a different paradigm.  For that reason I'm
pasting the web page here:

*Probabilities and Velocities*

If two events, denoted by A and B, are mutually exclusive and have the
individual probabilities P(A) and P(B), then the probability of "A or B" is
just the sum of the individual probabilities, i.e.,

P(A ÈB) = P(A) + P(B)

However, if the events A and B are not mutually exclusive, meaning that
there is some non-zero probability P(AÇB) of *both* events occurring, then
the above formula represents an over-estimate of their combined
probability, because it counts the intersection P(AÇB) twice.  To correct
for this, the general expression for the probability of the union of two
arbitrary events is

P(A ÈB) = P(A) + P(B) - P(AÇB)

In particular, if A and B are independent, the probability of them both
occurring equals the product of their individual probabilities, i.e.,  P(AÇB)
= P(A) P(B), so the formula for the probability of independent events is

P(A ÈB) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A) P(B)

It's interesting to compare these formulas with the composition formulas
for speeds with respect to different frames of reference.  Of course, in
ordinary units a speed can have a magnitude greater than 1, which makes it
incommensurable with probabilities, which always have magnitude less than
or equal to 1.  However, if we agree to express all speeds as fractions of
the speed of light, then the speed of every physical entity with respect to
any inertial system of coordinates will be dimensionless and less than or
equal to 1.  Another potential difficulty is that speeds can be negative.
In fact, we might even imagine complex speeds, similar to the complex
values of the Schrödinger wave equation in quantum mechanics.  Taking the
same approach that Max Born proposed for the interpretation of the wave
function, we could identify the squared norm of the speed v with the
"probability".  The squared norm of a complex number is simply the product
of the number and its complex conjugate, i.e., .  For ordinary real-valued
speeds, this implies that we associate the "probability" with the value v2.

Two speeds may be called independent if they are in orthogonal directions.
For example, suppose a particle is moving with a speed vy in the positive y
direction of an inertial coordinate system S, and suppose the spatial
origin of S is moving with a speed vx in the positive x direction of
another inertial coordinate system S' whose axes are aligned with those of
S.  What is the combined speed V = vx È vy of the particle with respect to
the S' system?  According to Galilean kinematics, these orthogonal squared
speeds are simply additive, so

P(vx È vy) = P(vx) + P(vy)

which expresses the Pythagorean vector addition law

V2 = vx2 + vy2

However, if the squared norm of a speed is to actually represent a
probability, and if speeds in orthogonal directions are to be regarded as
independent, then we can argue that the true law for the composition of
orthogonal speeds should be

P(vx È vy) = P(vx) + P(vy) - P(vx) P(vy)

In terms of the actual speeds this represents the formula

V2 = vx2 + vy2 - vx2vy2

Since these speeds are all expressed as fractions of the speed of light,
it's clear that the term vx2vy2would be negligible unless at least one of
the speeds involved was near the speed of light.  Interestingly, this is
precisely the correct formula for the composition of orthogonal speeds
according to Einstein's theory of special relativity.  To see this, let
t,x,y,z denote the inertial coordinates of system S, and let T,X,Y,Z denote
the (aligned) inertial coordinates of system S'.  In S the particle is
moving with speed vy in the positive y direction so its coordinates are

The Lorentz transformation for a coordinate system S' whose spatial origin
is moving with the speed v in the positive x (and X) direction with respect
to system S is

so the coordinates of the particle with respect to the S' system are

The first of these equations implies t = T(1 - vx2)1/2, so we can
substitute for t in the expressions for X and Y to give

The total squared speed V2 with respect to these coordinates is given by

Incidentally, subtracting 1 from both sides and factoring the right hand
side, this relativistic composition rule for orthogonal speeds can be
written in the form

This is essentially DeMorgan's Rule, which says that the negation of the
logical OR of two events is the logical AND of the negations of the two
events.  Symbolically, this can be expressed as

The composition of three orthogonal speeds (such as in the x, y, and z
directions) is likewise given by the probabilistic rule for independent
events

Notice that the relativistic energy of a particle of rest mass m0 is m0/(1-V
2)1/2, so this gives a decomposition of the kinetic components of the
relativistic energy into orthogonal factors.  Moreover, we can decompose
the vibrational modes of a complex configuration into an infinite family of
orthogonal components, and the relativistic energies combine in accordance
with this rule.

Incidentally, the above formulas for the composition of orthogonal
velocities can be generalized to cover any two velocities *u* and *v*. In
terms of the dot product, the magnitude of the mutual velocity*V* between
two particles that are moving with the velocities *u* and *v* relative to
any given inertial coordinate system is

The denominator of the right hand side is unity if *u* and *v* are
perpendicular, in which case this formula reduces to the previous
expression.