Hi Bob,

No time to answer at length now, but will later this eve...

My initial thought is that even a semiconductor is not what I would call a coherent system... Perhaps the junction is, but I would need more details to determine if that is so.

RE: your statement that,
"If one electron leaves the system, all change their energy at the same time, responding instantaneously."

What exactly is their definition of 'instantaneously"???
Has this been definitively established with a resolution of 10^-15 seconds???
I seriously doubt it...

-Mark