Mark--

Your noted the following:

I think that most infra red radiation associated with heat is absorbed by the
electrons in a crystal lattice.  The energy is then shifted to the vibration of
the various atoms making up the lattice.  However, I think the vibrational
modes are quantized and have resonant frequencies.  I would guess that many
atoms in a lattice vibrated at the same frequency in a given local position.
Its is much like a matrix of springs and masses.

How does your understanding as noted above contrast with my comment.

Bob