About 2 years ago I purchased a lithium ion electric bike.  I wanted to learn
about the technology and have fun.  I learned abut the technology because
everything on the motor, bike, and drive broke down. I replaced, upgraded, and
beefed up everything that failed.  The bike will now do 30 mph floored and
peddling.  I am 61 and mostly go slow.  I wear a helmet.  I was going a bit
faster on a local road at about 19 MPH and turned onto a sidewalk to get away
from any traffic while slowing down.  There was a small lip on the curb's
driveway depression.  My front tire caught the lip and I was thrown on the the
concrete at 12 MPH.  I landed right on my head.  The helmet took it for me,
picture linked below.  You will seen the gouges and the rivets scraped off.
Thanks to the helmet it was not my scalp that was scraped off.  I scraped up my
knee and my shoulder and my hands hurt (ouch).  I have no seriously injured
thanks to the helmet.  I will be out of service for about a week or so but I am
retired and can take a break.  Perhaps at 61, I am getting to old for this sort
of activity.   It was fun until this happened.  Lesson learned, even if you go
slow ware a helmet.  I former biker told me, walk, that's what I do after I
went body surfing 20 years ago.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/zpt/temp/helmet

Frank Znidarsic