From: Jones Beene [mailto:jone...@pacbell.net]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:12 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: EXTERNAL: RE: [Vo]:RE: Hydrofill and LaNi5

Since we are trying to cover all of the bases in looking closely at the
(extremely important) Cravens NI-Week experiment, and since we have talked from
time to time about the known route for chemical thermal gain, which can be
called “H/D exchange” – then lets refocus on that route. It would be most
relevant now that we realize that there has been a change in the gas mix to H/D
by Cravens. This exchange reaction is similar to a form of phase change and
preferential reordering, and it be seen in the usual one-way form
(conservative) or as sequential (a thermal anomaly). It is surprisingly
energetic but is chemical – non nuclear.

In papers such as those of the Colorado group - Dmitriyeva, Moddel et al.
wherein the obvious is stated: “studies have shown that a hydrogen-deuterium
(H/D) exchange chemical reaction can account for at least some of excess heat
observed during gas-loading experiments…Our calculations on the energy
available from H/D exchange show that all the excess heat observed during our
experiment can be accounted for by this chemical reaction…” Thus the true
message here is that we need to take a closer look at, which is what is “not
said” and overlooked by researchers (who should not have overlooked this major
detail).

A “chemical reaction” supplying all the energy to a reaction – that essentially
means almost nothing negative when excess thermal gain can be documented. The
two are not mutually exclusive. When excess heat is actually documented, one
route to that gain can indeed be sequential “H/D exchange” which is implemented
chemically but the source of energy gain (to reset the system) is presently
unknown, and probably related to nanomagnetism instead of nuclear energy. For
instance, there can be an anti-entropy “reset of the H/D ratio” within the
experiment which is implemented by superparamagnetism.

In short, chemical routes to gain can easily suffice to produce substantial
excess energy, which would only be permissible under LoT and CoE to the extent
that a hidden source of energy from OUTSIDE the experiment has been harnessed.

In the case of NI-Week the proximate cause of the gain can certainly be H/D
exchange, but that label (and over-simplification) does NOT mean there is no
excess heat – simply that the ultimate source of thermal gain is not obvious
and is hidden.

In fact over a decade ago, a “Magnetic Casimir Effect” was written up, and then
languished…
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0207153
This route for bringing in outside energy is not only possible in a dynamic way
(DCE) but could be long overdue in application to LENR, and especially relevant
to NI-Week.

(did you miss this paper, Fran ?) It can be easily expanded to cover the
chemical reset function of this experiment.

From: Bob Higgins

Dennis did not explicitly say that an H & D mix was required, but I believe
that his theory and his own experiments have led him to mostly use a 50:50 mix
in his present experiments.

This could be a new wrinkle.

At NI-Week, he was apparently using only D, and was quoted as saying that he
thought the gain was coming from D+D fusion to Helium (as in the Les Case line
of experiments).

A move to a HD mix would indicate something else… but I’m not sure what it
indicates. IIRC Mitchell Swartz uses a 50:50 mix, but that experiment is
electrolytic.