Dear Ruby,

Thank you for making this discussion more serious and fundamental. Please
have a lot of patience with a grumpy old man having unorthodox ideas re
CF/LENR. It seems Nature behaves someetimes as a bad girl, respecting rules
that differ from ours.

You wrote:
*" For commercialization to be a reality, and for the technology to be
efficient and maximized, a theory of LENR must be found.  This does not
marginalize research and engineering efforts.  It helps these experimental
efforts by moving the hunt for a theory forward."*

Absolutely correct, this is the essence of the scientific method, acreative
dogma, a must. You are not allowed to develop a technology if you don't
know well how it works.
However what to do if you are not able to understand, you cannot  create a
theory fulfilling this elementary request? Perhaps you cannot have a theory
because the phenomenon/process was discovered too early and science is not
prepared to explain it. Add to this that the experimental situation is
simply dreadful- oly, say, one experiment from 5-6 gives a measurable
result. the phenomenon clearly exists but cannot be controlled. )i know
why but nobody believes me and ed Storms rejects my air poisoning
hypothesis)
What TO THEN? You have to abandon the issue, or ...you can reframe
the problem: the TASK is to create by radical changes - a process that
works well, the question was"why it works/not?;the alternative is to make
it work, to use very smart engineering for that. Theories were explicative,
prohibitive and predictive- we have to add a fourth category- productive
theory, active- obtain understanding by making radical changes.
This was done by Andrea Rossi and by DGT (see their "make hydrogen more
reactive and metal more receptive) I have written much about this on my
blog. If the scientific method does not work, use the hybrid technological
scientific method - engineering is the key. I have promoted this idea
staring from the very first isssue of Infinite Energy.

You wrote:

*Peter, if a nanocrack is indeed the NAE, then the idea would be to
manufacture nanocracks, not leave them to be created by chance, as has been
the case so far.*

Just to mention that at birth NAE was/ were 'active sites" see please:
http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/GluckPunderstand.pdf
and "environment is not correct, because it is about something very LOCAL-
the real "enviroment, nuclear active is the complete CelFP or Piantelli the
entire E-cat or Hyperion. To manage crAcking of a metallic material is an
awfully complex task. Cracking is not reversible- at least not at room
temperature and is a sacrificial operation as in thermal shields of
rockets- based on ablation.
For a technologist it is repugnant.

You wrote- re D +D and H+ H rejected:
*:"This is speculation.  I would like to see this figured out one way or
the other. How do you do that?"*

See please the papers results of Piantelli, Rossi, DGT and of Ahern et
other nanopowder studies. And yes, it is some speculation in it. However I
know no proof for it. Is it some proof in the book of  Ed?

You wrote:

(Pd D is technologically dead if wet, electrochemical)

*A mug of coffee is bad enough near my computer.*

Non capisco however as faster we will refocus he research in our field
as sooner it will go well. I don't expect you will take such an initiative
on Cold Fusion Now or to publish my innfamous: "eevrything I knew about
cold fusion was wrong" but the "palladium addio!" moment will arrive,
I bet.

you wrote re DGT, Rossi:

*"If nanocracks are the NAE, and if the process works through hydrotons,
then the proprietary processing of the nickel surface would be expected to
make nano-spaces for the hydrogen to fill." *

We will know a lot soon from both LENR+ technologies. It is about nano-
surfaces, nano-antennas but NOT cracks, IMHO. PLEASE listen very carefully
to what our friend AXIL says here! Take a look to my cited
paper re the concept of surface, today it is even more complex.

Storms looks to many data, true, however many important data are still
missing.

My best wishes,
Peter

--