I have made this at my home lab. There was no magnetic particles in
the graphite at first.

After the microwave heating I got magnetic
particles. I tested it for iron in a simple wet chemical test and it
show it contain iron.

But then I extracted the untreated graphite in
HCl and made same test. This show the natural graphite was contain iron
from the start.

The heat must have making the carbon reduce the iron
from an unmagnetic state to a ferromagnetic sate.

I have tested
additional two different samples of natural graphite sold as "pure" and
in both I find iron.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 20:29:40 -0700, Eric Walker