Thanks...

Most spectroscopic applications with fiber-optics have been restricted to
wavelength ranges above 230 nm, because standard silica fibers with an
undoped core and fluorine doped cladding are frequently damaged by exposure
to deep-UV light (below 230 nm). This solarization effect is induced by the
formation of “color centers” with an absorbance band of 214 nm. These color
centers are formed when impurities (like Cl) exist in the core fiber
material and form unbound electron pairs on the Si atom, which are affected
by the deep-UV radiation.

Not long ago, solarization resistant fibers, which were hydrogen loaded,
were developed (UVI). The disadvantage of these fibers is the limitation on
smaller fiber diameters and limited lifetime, caused by the H2 outgassing
from the fiber. Recently, with the availability of a modified core preform,
a new fiber became available (UVM). This fiber provides long-term stability
at 30-40% transmission (for 215 nm).

All UV/VIS fiber-optic probes, cables and bundles with core diameters of
100 µm, 200 µm, 400 µm, 600 µm, 800 µm and 1000 µm can be delivered with
solarization resistant fibers. All assemblies, made by Avantes, are
pre-solarized for an 8-hrs period, to have a constant transmission of
30-40% @ 215 nm.