I've wondered if the Oil industry isn't just trying to stall other forms of
energy until the inventory of Oil is used up.   This is also a race against
mankind's interests in reducing greenhouse gasses.  This is a rough
estimate, but there are only about 40 years left of oil.  Here are the
calculations;

Total world oil reservers is ~1,35 Trillion Barrels.  Average daily oil
consumption is estimated at ~85.6 million barrels/day.  1350GB /
0.0856GB/day = 15771 days of oil left.  15771 / 356 days/year = 44 years of
oil left.  +/- a couple of years.

In addition, this is the approximate CO2 produced by that oil to be added
on to the 400ppm we already have;
3.15 barrels produces 1.0 tonne of CO2. So in 44 years, we will have dumped
1350GB/3.15 TCo2/B = 428,571,428,571 TonsCO2 (429 GTons CO2).

Every 15 GT CO2 will rise CO2 by 1.0ppm.  50ppm will rise global temps by
1C.  429/15=28.6ppm or ~0.6C gain from now
until oil is used up in 40 years or so.

Similar calculations on coal will yield a 1.30C change in the same time
period, and combined with oil it give 1.58C global average temp change in
40 years.  Coal us in the developing countries has increased exponentially
so this really could be an underestimate.  If there is a 2C rise in global
average temperatures occurs by 2050, (in line with these estimates), 4C by
2100 is very likely and if coal use is accelerating, a 6C change is really
likely.

Sadly for mankind, the corporate world is more than happy to do the waiting
game and continue to gather huge profits from stone age polluting
technologies for years to come.

.