Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> With most other
> demos I have been less impressed than the person doing the demo.
>
> I can see your point, but my impression is not that he is unimpressed, but
> that he realizes the similarity to Arata, which also was understated . . .

Arata's demonstration calorimetry was bad. Awful, really. As Ed and I
pointed out:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJreportonar.pdf

Arata was upset with us. "Upset" to say the least. He has quite a temper.

> – and the similarity to Les Case and the Arata replications . . .

Do you mean Cravens' replications? I do not recall that he replicated
Arata. McKubre did. Are you saying his demo was too similar to their
experiments to stand on it own merits? I disagree, if that is what you
mean. It was different enough.

> , and moreover - that he has also improved it, possibly substantially

If it is improved, that is all the more reason to do the demo again, and to
enter the contest.

> - and finally… (but most importantly)… that he is not the same kind of
> self-promoter as are many inventors in LENR.

Well, when you do a demo, you are promoting yourself. So you do the best
you can, and you stand by the results. He honestly does not think the demo
is as impressive as I do. That is a matter of opinion. I guess it could be
modesty, but we have specific technical reasons on both sides. It is a mild
disagreement.

> Obviously, if they made the requirement to be a minimum of say - 100 watts
> –
> then that could eliminate this type of demo.

Yup. It would resemble the demonstration the British astronomers set for
chronometers. See the book "Longitude" for details. Around 1780 the
astronomers launched the biggest, most expensive science project in history
to compile lunar tables for navigation. Along came Harrison with a
chronometer suitable for use on a ship, version 1, 2 and 3. The government
set up a reward for a working chronometer, similar to the X-prize, but it
put the astronomers in charge. They were determined to prevent the use of a
rival technology, since they had this make-work Tokamak-like project
underway. All three of Harrison's devices were tested in transatlantic
voyages, in tests dictated by the astronomers. All three passed with flying
colors. They were easier to use than lunar tables. So the astronomers kept
moving the goal posts and making the tests harder and harder. Finally,
Harrison and the others gave up. By that time they were selling directly to
ship captains, so the contest was moot.

The lunar table project continued until 1911, as I recall.

(With the lunar method, you use the moon as a clock to know the time at the
prime meridian. With a chronometer, you leave the chronometer set to
Greenwich time. You would adjust the chronometer when you reached a port at
a known location. The local astronomer would fire off a cannon or ring a
bell at midday for the navigators aboard ships in port.)