Things may be more complicated than are imaged here. The helium ash produce
might not be the end product of the completed reaction. The helium might be
a transient step in a long string of ascending fusion reactions that start
with the proton/proton(PP) initial reaction and end with boron or beryllium
or heavier elements. Helium and tritium could be created and destroyed at
equivalent rates with only a transient  amount  appearing in the ash. I
would look for boron, beryllium, and lithium as the final ash products of
the PP reaction.

The fixation on helium is a final ash product in a holdover concept from
the initial cold fusion theories in the earliest days of cold fusion
theories that attempted to explain cold fusion as a hot fusion process
where highly compressive energies were postulated to produced helium from
hydrogen based hot fusion.