From: Eric Walker

Secondly, and most importantly - the neutron of the deuteron offers Coulomb
shielding.

Can you elaborate on this?  I would have expected the neutron to be more or
less invisible, as far as the Coulomb field is concerned.

Eric

Of course, the neutron looks to be neutral – from a distance, so it's not
generally expected to shield anything massively in the same way that magnetism
is shielded by a high mu metal or a dielectric shields against an electrostatic
field. But both of those mechanisms may offer a clue.

Unless, of course, the neutron has a significant dipole moment or a significant
near-field charge, so that is aligns geometrically between the proton and the
approaching nickel nucleus – to partially shield in the same way a dielectric
would.

The strong force is so much stronger than electrical repulsion, that any small
effect can make a difference at close range.

This may an open matter, as to whether current theory suggests the dipole
moment of the neutron may be nonzero (does anyone know for sure?) but the
neutron is reported to have a negative near-field, which means that it could
provide some degree of shielding effect – certainly the electrostatic field
lines are much different than with a bare proton. I do not have a handy
reference for the proof of a neutron near-field, so this should be double
checked.

Jones