On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> I refer to the opposite effect in this case Harry.  In other words, can
> the color appear to be too dark in the visual region to our eyes compared
> to the emission of thermal energy in the IR.
>
> Are there surfaces that are very poor emitters of energy in the visual
> region that behave more like a black body in the infrared region?  This is
> more of a question instead of a statement since it seems like that might be
> happening in this special case.  The light emitted does not have a color
> that matches what is expected to be seen from a surface of a broad band
> black body.  I wonder if anyone on the list has seen materials with that
> characteristic.
>
> If you consider the behavior of a RF radio transmitter, you will
> understand the jest of my question.  In that case, the amount of power at
> its transmission frequency, being narrow band and so low in Hertz, would
> indicate a black body that was at an enormous temperature if the complete
> spectrum were available as expected.  But we know that it does not
> represent a true black body since it is narrow band.  Can anything of a
> similar nature exist at other frequency ranges such as IR?

The blackbody would still have a low temperature if the distribution peeked
at radio wave lengths  which are much longer than light waves. See how the
temperature peek of a blackbody declines as wavelength increases:
http://voyager.egglescliffe.org.uk/physics/astronomy/blackbody/Image21b.gif

You are struggling to find an explanation which is consistent with the
claim of excess energy and with the 2nd law of thermodynamics (heat flows
from a hotter region to a cooler region).  Can it be done? You can
disregard what I am about to say since I am not expert in these matters but
I think a choice has to be made. Either there is no excess energy or the
2nd law has broken down in this system.

Harry