On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Broadly speaking, I think three explanation have been offered for the
> astounding mass spec results:
>
> 1. Tentative acceptance, or at least acceptance for the sake of argument.
> That, it seems to me, is McKubre's position. As McKubre says, this result
> is so different from previous ones it should be considered one-off, and not
> yet replicated.
>
> 2. Mistake. This seems unlikely given the magnitude of the effect. On the
> other hand mass spectroscopy is a difficult art. The people at Mitsubishi
> and the National Synchrotron lab both saw pronounced isotopic shifts in
> Iwamura's samples. The people at the NRL looked at those samples and saw
> nothing. I believe they were the very same samples in some cases.
>
> 3. Fraud. Surely you jest. This has been proposed by skeptics thousands of
> times to dismiss cold fusion results. It is an intellectual dead end. It
> can seldom be tested.
>
> I cannot judge the likelihood of 1 or 2. #3 seems unlikely because, as I
> said, there is no motive. Rossi already has what he wants from IH. I doubt
> IH has any investment (fiscal or psychological) in Rossi's Ni theories. No
> industrialist cares about theory, except insofar as they want a theory to
> speed up development.
>
> - Jed

​
​
Robert Ellefson makes a good case why the ash is not fake without reference
to motive or magic tricks:

https://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l%40eskimo.com/msg98444.html

"I do not believe that the discovery of highly-enriched isotopes is the
result
of fraud.  I think that the variable fractions of isotopes between the
surface
and the bulk of the ash indicates that isotopic enrichment was occurring
in-situ.  The apparent fact (if true) that the bulk of the nickel is 99.3%
Ni-62, while it is 98.7% Ni-62 on the surface, along with an even larger
lithium isotope gradient from surface-to-bulk, demonstrates that we are
looking
at the ash of a nuclear reaction, and not a faked result.  I have no idea
how
Rossi could achieve such gradients in with a laboratory-supply feedstock of
enriched nickel achieving both the surface morphology that the ash grain
displayed and the isotope fractionation gradient that it displayed.  I
highly
doubt this would be possible to fake even with tremendous effort.

So, rather than providing evidence of fraud, I very much believe that this
isotope fractionation gradient clearly indicates that some kind of nuclear
reaction is taking place in during this experiment.
​"​

​Harry​