>From the Martin Fleischmann Memorial Project facebook page:

Is this the catalyst?

As we reported in a previous Facebook post, we know for a fact that Pons
and Fleischmann had a key Lithium compound in their lab, but that is not
all the data points that have encouraged us to think that Lithium is
important in apparent high-yield LENR. We also know that it was being
proposed openly in 2001 alongside Ni+H and AL2O3.

On December the 14th 2012, team member Bob Greenyer experienced something
that has haunted him ever since... after making a presentation in Rome,
announcing the MFMPs first seemingly positive result by Mathieu Valat with
Celani wire in France:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-eKgEVY868&list=UUEy09JW5XAd95JmknU1JOeQ
<https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DH-eKgEVY868%26list%3DUUEy09JW5XAd95JmknU1JOeQ&h=qAQF4uy3v&enc=AZNboU243icfPambK44v1N0-ZQypgpGtUGkmUMuUfdeAEVf1wG8zbKeOxQicDLiu8gh7gbIgU-SNf8ypY0bDDenZ8w3fB64feoRpOrDgbbbP2IJCZB1p-cBG_e86Hph9c2amf0nqNlmtHbqNAWLCrSrk&s=1>

As Bob left the meeting room, just a few paces out of the door, a guy
approached him quickly from behind and without introduction said something
and then walked off. In Bob's own words:

"when I presented in Rome in December 2012, someone came up to me and gave
me a nudge and a wink and said I should add an alkali metal, I said did he
mean something like Lithium and he would neither confirm or deny."

The man might have been from the military since the presentation was in a
services facility.

Moving to early 2014

Well before this report was published, Piantelli made an addition to his
granted patent citing that Lithium was the best way to enhance the effect
in a Ni+H thermally excited gas phase system.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140098917
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fpatents%2FUS20140098917&h=HAQFKYeBC&enc=AZOdm4MsoU_CBjNS_sNzTQC_ZWdYymyDMittunqbXOwBk8yA6FapC_KJhyzO6v7uU4gn5Qpm-9yrZNlzoDiOXtTB23c9p-ae1kr9u7bwCiqfwRP3gCzFOINUQAgY1Xtg9_cQo-gjQYwGXNj0ML4bi0vr&s=1>

In light of the "mysterious guy" and the publication of Piantellis patent
addition, the MFMP was inspired to look at previous experiments and it was
noted that Quartz cell in the US did not produce any apparent excess heat,
nor did SKINNERS cells that were in steel, when the Borosilicate glass used
by Mathieu appeared to... could it be the Boron content that was critical,
since Piantelli notes that Boron enhances the effect also - but to a lesser
degree.

Then we found out that Borosilicate can have Lithium Carbonate added - up
to 5%!, was Celani or Mathieu using that type?

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-7/Pyrex.html
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.madehow.com%2FVolume-7%2FPyrex.html&h=LAQFabtV4&enc=AZOrmfulqyvZne4j6ZdSmFxUNtiABo5jUe8aSlX1K9bT_xky7CGv2O_QoQyvjD-0ucqQ9LgO3UmPvFs1lWQKgDP9V6tNm9s4Zxzs8cL2RTmpD4nbTAYMkKRgV2ONLjZKY9w9AF0q4NrynNAy5P5zSs9s&s=1>

Anyhow - that set us on a determined path to include Lithium compounds in
future research, after we had first, fully tested without.

Then we found that Celani was using Lepidolite - a mineral mica from a very
old manufacturer - one of the main sources of Lithium - to support his
wires in his cells. Commercial mica today generally comes from non lithium
baring mica sources. This might have explained his slightly higher apparent
excess.

Then we found out that Celani was getting higher apparent excess by having
fine borosilicate/mica strapped next to his wires.

We were also aware of the chemo-nuclear work of Hideotsugo Ikegami and his
use of Lithium.

And Bob Higgins then noted

"Li2SO4 was an ingredient to the electrolyte in the Patterson cell to make
the water conductive."

Added weight came from an article written for e-cat world, Rick Allen which
noted

"There are additional bits of information that point toward the possibility
that lithium is utilized. One interesting fact is that .4% lithium was
found in the used “charge” that Rossi supplied to Sven Kullander for
analysis. In an unused sample, no lithium was present. There are two
possibilities here. One is that the lithium was a transmutation product.
The second is that the unused charge was never in a reactor so it did not
contain lithium. I propose the hypothesis that the lithium is added
separately to the nickel powder (perhaps by coating the walls of the
reactor) and that when a high temperature is reached the lithium melts and
mixes with the nickel powder. In current systems, there may be both lithium
on the walls of the reactor and a tablet of lithium hydride."

You can read the rest of the article here:

http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/04/26/lithium-the-case-for-an-e-cat-catalyst-guest-post/
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-catworld.com%2F2014%2F04%2F26%2Flithium-the-case-for-an-e-cat-catalyst-guest-post%2F&h=wAQFcYomB&enc=AZNK4u8sKyzmyGpfGG0HNnxV8jk7mMUQ3Sa1LiIPZSe1C-X_d85kLe_1-PiyvhUbWbPuFVmrhqlxHrgp5kFtfwC0ZdxywwbSFvEQnRE4KGmpT7qEtfbU_r4zwlC99RPfKRxaxc21GM1_c4uJ0jMWYWDI&s=1>

And the kicker!

Could removing Lithium from the fuel, or more likely, not actually
including it, be what Rossi was referring to when he recently said:

"AND I GAVE A SAMPLE FROM WHICH THE COMPONENTS, THAT AT THOSE TIMES WERE
NOT DISCLOSABLE, HAD BEEN EXTRACTED, BECAUSE NOT YET PATENTED. I CLEARLY
WARNED PROF. KULLANDER OF THAT. SO WE ALL KNEW THAT TOSE ANALYSIS COULD NOT
BE TAKEN AS COMPLETE, "

Here :
http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/10/11/rossi-responds-to-swedish-professors-critical-of-e-cat-report/
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-catworld.com%2F2014%2F10%2F11%2Frossi-responds-to-swedish-professors-critical-of-e-cat-report%2F&h=FAQH1bONd&enc=AZPIbvb5RsTshp9yOITB1-3DtcYwOS-MR3cXyKuEi7eSWxr_VpSe5Jw4ekot5k7PsJZa7vpkaecrUGN0CQLecvB6H6RskdUSe6ThWEybEwOwmV5HXBd23M--RPIn1eyXpIQeqJPMzhthbjw7d-Y8TTYN&s=1>

Of course, it would be far harder to remove Lithium from the ash, and less
important that it was done as there could be many hypothesis that it was in
there.

So, what do you think - is Lithium the Catalyst?

Or could it be Al2O3?

Maybe one is the cat, the other the mouse. Regardless, both were openly
proposed in 2001.