Dave,

I did some calculations based on some formulas provided here:

http://dsp.stackexchange.com/questions/8949/how-do-i-calculate-the-color-temperature-of-the-light-source-illuminating-an-ima

I set up a spreadsheet to do the calculations, and pulled the RGB values
with a graphics editor (Gimp).  The hottest spot I could find according to
those formulas was 1792C.  This was based on the picture taken in the
dark.  Given that it is obvious that there are temperature variation across
the tube, it does not seem unreasonable for 1400C average.  The wire coming
in the left side calculates to 2014C.

Best,
Jack